ENERGY EFFICIENCY – Gadgets
Here are some ideas which will Save You Money on Utility Bills and Help Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions:
OCCUPANCY SENSOR LIGHT SWITCH
OK, who left the lights on?
You’ll never have to ask that question again after you install wall-mounted motion-sensing switches! Simply walk into a room and your motion signals the lights to turn on automatically. And more importantly, the lights automatically go off when the sensor detects no movement for a set period of time that you choose (from 15 seconds to 15 minutes). It is easy to install and easily connects to your existing wiring, just like a regular light switch.
SOLAR-POWERED ATTIC FAN
Attics can reach temperatures of up to 160 degrees Fahrenheit during a hot summer day in Colorado, so ventilation of your attic is an important factor in keeping your home cool. The heat in the attic acts like a giant radiator, passing heat back into your living spaces and your cooling bill through the roof. (No pun intended!) Also, heat in the attic draws the moisture from your home up into the attic causing insulation & construction materials to deteriorate and mold. A Solar Attic Fan easily attaches to your roof and actually gives you a double savings as it will lower your air conditioning bill and is powered completely by free solar energy. They are easy to install, have no electrical wiring, so there is no cost for an electrician and no permits to pull. They are extremely powerful – a single unit can fully vent up to 1200 square feet. Place it wherever you need improved circulation: attic, lofts, workshops, storage sheds, garages and even barns.
A product called Kill A Watt and Kill A Watt EZ are gadgets that tell you how much power is consumed by anything plugged into it. The EZ version lets you enter your cost per kilowatt hour and it will monitor the plugged in device and give you a cost per week, month or year.
WATT STOPPER AND SMART STRIP
A Watt Stopper Power Strip and the Smart Strip automatically shut down outlets if not in use.
Intermatic Home Settings Lighting Control Starter Kit costs approximately $100 and comes with 2 lamp modules for controlling lights and a master control. This Z-Wave product can be expanded for security and other controls relatively inexpensively.
There are many Solar Chargers available for free and convenient charging of your cell phones, home phones, PDAs, digital cameras or other 5V devices, MP3 Players and iPods.
– The Solio H-1000 Hybrid solar charger with a wide variety of adapters and a storage battery so you can charge your device without the sun shining (one full phone charge; one hour of sun = 15 minutes of talk; 40 minutes of music).
– The Solio Magnesium Edition with a built-in storage battery (two full phone charges; one hour of sun = 20 minutes talk; 50 minutes of music).
– The Solar and Wind: HYmini is a handheld universal charger/adapter device that harnesses renewable wind power and has solar power option and an adapter for conventional wall plug power to recharge almost all your 5V digital gadgets and energy stored in its internal battery can be used to recharge your cell phone, MP3 player, iPod®, PDA, digital camera or other 5V devices.
– Black & Decker 3 LED Hand-Crank Rechargeable Flashlight with 10,000 hour bulbs (crank for one minute, get about 15 minutes of light).
– Princeton Tec Torrent LED is extremely bright, durable, and water proof to 100 meters and can use lithium ion rechargeables.
– Black & Decker Weather Radio Flashlight/Cell Phone Charger with 10,000 hour bulbs, AM/FM, and weather alerts from NOAA. It can also charge a cell phone.
– Black & Decker Bright Bar 26 LED Work Light with 10,000 plus LED is rechargeable (rated for 7 hours).